Get the Shape You Want
One of the most common plastic surgery procedures available today is breast augmentation. The reasons women choose to have this procedure done are numerous and unique to each individual. However, age, genetics, pregnancy, weight changes and gravity can all change the size and shape of the breast and cause dissatisfaction. Breast augmentation will help you achieve fuller, shapelier breasts, and the expert physicians at Illinois Cosmetic and Plastic Surgery are just the team to perform the job.
How Breast Augmentation Works
When you choose to have breast augmentation, breast implants – saline or silicone – are placed inside a pocket behind existing breast tissue. This will increase or even out breast size, restore breast volume or help restore the shape of the breast after experiencing a partial or total loss. Breast augmentation will not correct significantly sagging or drooping breasts. In that circumstance, a breast lift is often necessary and can be performed with a breast augmentation.
Saline vs. Silicone Implants
Choosing between saline and silicone implants is a personal decision. Both are available in similar shapes, sizes and textures, but the composition filling the implant does differ.
- Saline implants: a silicone rubber shell filled with sterile salt water, or saline solution.
- Silicone implants: a silicone rubber shell filled with a silicone gel that feels very similar to natural breast tissue.
Incision Options for Breast Implants
Breast implants can be inserted through incisions in the areola, armpit and under-breast crease. All of these options result in minimized or hidden scars.
- Periareolar incision (areola): a single small incision placed along the perimeter of each areola, where the scars will follow a natural line
- Transaxillary incision (armpit): a small incision in the natural fold of the armpits; no scars on the breasts
- Inframammary incision (under breast): a small incision placed along the crease of the lower portion of each breast, concealing the scars in the natural breast folds
Schedule Your Consultation
To make your consultation with our physicians most effective, we encourage you to order a pre-consultation kit that will provide initial information about breast augmentation and other procedures. It will also allow you to try different breast sizes in the privacy of your own home. Schedule your consultation by calling (309) 495-0250, or contact us today to find out if breast augmentation or reduction is right for you.